As I create this writing portfolio, I’m near the end of the most unusual February since I started freelancing. It’s usually a slow month for me, coming after the end of year rush, and before many clients have finalized their content strategy for the year.
This month has been different, and it’s all to do with adding another type of writing to the long list of topics I already cover: writing about diversity, equity, and inclusion, and anti-racism.
If you want to know how that all came about, check out this article. The short version is that I let people know I was interested in writing about these topics by updating my LinkedIn profile and posting there about it.
As a result, I started to get some work in this niche, including some ghostwriting for a corporate client that doesn’t appear here. That work is pretty fulfilling, and I hope to do more of it during the year. In the meantime, I’m still writing about business and marketing, and this first iteration of my 2021 writing portfolio reflects that variety.
I write for the Business Trends site about a variety of small business topics.
- How to Handle a Reputational, Operational or Financial Crisis
- Mastering Digital Payments: Ways to Thrive in a Cashless Society
For Square, I also cover small business topics.
This was my first paid commission for anti-racism writing. It was actually published late in 2020, but I wanted to include it here, as it reflects my new focus.
This site covers a variety of small business topics.
I’ve been writing for Taboola for a while, covering digital marketing and native advertising. I was pleased to be able to help them out with interviews published during Black History Month.
- The Ultimate Guide to Valentine’s Day Marketing
- Digital Publishing Trends for 2021
- Interview with Taboola Black’s Nicole Uvieghara: Still Room For Improvement in the Advertising & Publishing Industry
- Interview with Taboola Black’s Founder, Nneka Okoli: Diversity in the Advertising & Publishing Industry
I write regularly for the business channel of Tuts+, and my work there covers leadership, presentation skills, gender equity, diversity, and much more.
One new thing I’ve done for Tuts+ is add screencasts to existing articles:
- 20 Creative Presentation Ideas That’ll Inspire Audiences in 2021
- How to Write a Great LinkedIn Recommendation With Helpful Examples
That’s it for now. As usual, I’ll update this throughout the year.
Previous Writing Work
Check out my previous work:
- 2020 writing portfolio
- 2019 writing portfolio
- 2018 writing portfolio
- 2017 writing portfolio – Q1, Q2, Q3-4
Last updated: February 2021